×

Enjoy Jakarta

enjoy-jakarta-11

The client of this project is DISPARBUD DKI Jakarta. It’s an abbreviation of “Dinas Pariwisata dan Kebudayaan DKI Jakarta”. In English, it is translated loosely to “Tourism and Cultural Office of Jakarta”. It’s a local government institution which deals with tourism and cultural issue.

My responsibility in this project was to rebuild their website. Their old website was developed using a custom built PHP CMS. Unfortunately, this custom built CMS has too many fault in it. It had too many bugs. It’s slow and unsafe. The design was clumsy. The code was a mess. At first we planned to annihilate this old website and rebuilt a new on with better CMS, but then I ended up fixing it instead.

Project Challenge

In the middle of the project, there were a succession of the leadership in Jakarta. We were finalizing an election and just got a new governor in Jakarta: Mr Joko Widodo (Jokowi). Jokowi did some reshuffle to his officials, including officials at the Tourism Office. So, at that time, the PIC of the project moved to another person. This turned out to be a big dilemma for the project. We were halfway through our project and then there was someone new “in town” and she wants everything changed. The institution didn’t have a good succession mechanism to make sure that the works which were still running, could still run smoothly. The new official demanded so many new things from us that we ended up being brought back to the beginning of the project. And all of a sudden, we were finally just brought back the old website and fixed what’s wrong it instead of continuing to develop the half-finished new website.

Of course we’re familiar with the fact that fixing someone else’s code is harder than writing a new one. But, in this case, where there’s already too much miscommunication between us and the recently-changing client, doing whatever the client wants is better than just dumping the whole project. For the sake of our integrity and credibility, we chose the hard way to fix the broken web. Thankfully, we managed to finish the project with client somewhat satisfied (although I wasn’t 😉 ).